"Keep doing [online events] consistently... people will really appreciate it."
Shamash, Group Admin
Getting your members together in-person is a fun way to promote engagement and connection but offline events aren’t always possible – especially when your members live all over the world. Don’t let that stop you from meeting and interacting - plan an online event in your group!
3 ways to host online events:
Hosting casual Watch Parties for your group every few months can create great engagement. Watch Party allows you to choose videos relevant to your community and invite members to join and discuss. When creating a Watch Party, find videos that make sense for your community, then set up an event and invite group members.
You can find talks related to your group’s mission or save other fun content you find across Facebook. Getting together to watch videos and chat about them is a great way to get members connecting with each other.
Messenger Rooms also allows you to create easy online events. Using this video chat you can host a multitude of classes, coffee chats or happy hours, panel discussions and you can even go live in your group to share the fun with all of your members!
Set up a Live where you host an interview or coffee chat with someone your community would be excited to hear from. You can also host your own “Ask Me Anything” or Question and Answer where members can ask you questions about yourself and the community. Lives also send a notification and alert your members (depending on the notification settings) and are a great way to reach and engage with your members.
Invite your members to join in by commenting with questions that you can ask or answer in real time. This gives people the chance to learn about something that matters to them, get to know you better, contribute and be heard in the group.
A great way to get ideas for online events is by using Polls. You can set up a poll asking “What would you like to do for our next online event?” Opening this up to your community will get them excited and give you ideas.
You can also ask your members if they have any special skills or passions such as cooking, fitness, dance, art, etc. From here you can ask them to host classes, panels, talks or activities for your community.
After you’ve hosted a few online events, encourage trusted members to set up their own events in the group.
Polling your members on what events they’d like to have can help you choose your next online event.
Tools for hosting online events in your group
Messenger Rooms is a great way to get your community together online. Using this video chat room, you can use link sharing to connect to more people and even go live into your group to share your event.
To create a room in Messenger:
- Go to “People,” and click “Active.”
- Click “Create a Room” and “Try It.”
- Click “Share Link.”
Using Watch Party can be an effective tool to bring your members together over a shared interest for an online event.
Steps to set up a watch party:
- Go to your group and open the composer tool
- Under the text box click the “Watch Party” button
- Choose videos that are relevant to your community - you can even find ones you have recently watched at the top!
- Click the video to add to your queue
- Write a description for your Watch Party - one idea is: “Join our event on Tuesday at 6:30pm Pacific Time to watch [description of videos or theme]!”
- Post your watch party!
Setting up a Live is a simple way to get an online event started in your group.
Steps to set up a Live in your group:
- Go to your group and open the composer tool
- Click the Live button to start your Live
- Keep an eye out for comments and you can respond live
- Post your Live after you’ve finished for continued engagement!
Use the Events tool to post the time and link to your online event!
Steps to set up an event:
- Go to your group and click the events button above the composer
- When you are in the events tab, click “Create an Event”
- Add your time, location, info and a cover photo. Tip: In the photo you can also include the time and place for more visibility for your group members
- Once you have set up your event, you can start to invite members by clicking the invite button
- Remind your community to RSVP and add to their calendar using the “...” and “Add to Calendar” button
When promoting an online event, pinning your event post as an announcement will help you get the attention of your members.
Steps to pin an announcement:
- Go to your group and find your event post
- Click the “...” and “Mark as announcement”
- Choose the length of time (could be until the event is over) and set your announcement!
Polling your members on what events they’d like to have can help you choose your next online event!
Steps to set up a poll:
- Go to your group and open the composer tool at the top
- Click on the “Poll” option and type your question which could be “What should we do for our next event?”
- Add options using the “settings button” and choose if you’d like to allow members to choose multiple or add their own options (sometimes it helps to say: “If you add an option, look forward to having you help plan the event!”)