loader

Finding moderators and admins

Something Went Wrong
We're having trouble playing this video.

Transcript

00:00
There were a lot of people joining us, a bunch of
00:03
people found us. We literally went from
00:05
(which sounds sounds ridiculous now) from 100 to 400 in
00:08
24 hours. For us that was a huge leap.
00:12
And that's when I realized like, I really can't do
00:14
this by myself. I need a team. And so the people
00:16
who've been with me from the start, I'm like
00:18
"Hey can you help me? I don't really know what we're doing
00:19
here, but I'm in trouble!" Trust is a major factor
00:22
when it comes to your admins, you have to trust
00:24
each other to know that the other admin is going to
00:27
make a good decision. Also, someone who is a long
00:29
standing member, someone who knows what the
00:32
group's mission is. Make sure it's people that on
00:35
one hand that you can work with well, people that you
00:38
know your personalities will mix, or that your
00:40
your mindsets are similar. But I always recommend
00:44
finding people who you disagree with on some
00:46
things and who bring different ideas to the table.
Admins recommend finding people to help manage your community as it grows. Choosing the right people is an important first step, so we spoke with experienced admins Geriann, Lauren and Jonathan to get their take on finding and adding a team of moderators and admins.

Trust is a major factor when it comes to your team. You have to trust each other and know that your team is going to make good decisions on your behalf.

Lauren, Group Admin

Key Tips
  • As your group grows, you don't have to manage it all by yourself.
  • Ask trusted group members if they're interested in joining your team.
  • Consider adding people to your team who bring a different perspective than your own.
tips

Active members who help others in the group might be interested in becoming moderators.

As your community grows, you may find yourself spending more and more time moderating your group. If you feel this way, you're not alone. It may be time to enlist some people to help manage your group.

You may find that certain members already help manage the group. Those members might post great content, comment on other posts or tag you in discussions that need moderation. They understand the culture of the group and feel like a part of the community. Admins we spoke to told us that the best moderators tend to reveal themselves in this manner, so reach out to them and see if they want to take on a more official role.

You can promote any member of your group to one of two roles: admin or moderator. Moderators have fewer permissions than admins, so they can help take some of the work off your plate without giving them more control than you're comfortable with.

Introduce new moderators or admins in a post, so members can get to know them personally and know who to tag in comment threads that need moderation. Admin and moderator badges help members quickly and easily identify these leaders. Ideally, your moderators can monitor content and member activity while you're away from your group.

You don’t have to do it all by yourself. Ask trusted members to help manage your group.

Was this information helpful?

Related tips from admins